Friday, July 17, 2009

man's best friend

It has been almost 2 months since my dog Tara and my cat Smokey were attacked by two raccoons. Smokey has since passed on, and I really thought Tara was going to win this battle. After all she is a big Rottweiler, and after weeks of anti biotics and shots from the vet she was doing much better. It looks like the infection has spread to her lymph nodes and she will not be with us much longer. I'm watching her sleep right now in the living room floor. Brooke is up with me for the night and we are taking turns spooning with Tara to keep her comfy. She is having a hard time breathing because her lymph nodes are the size of oranges in her neck and they are pushing on her airway. She has an appt. at 8 a.m. to see the vet and we will have to make a hard choice at that time. I don't want to let her go. She's only 5 years old and we should have alot of time left. Right before she got sick I spent the day with her at the Indiana Dunes in Michigan City and it was so much fun. She loved the beach and hiking up the trails. I don't want to go to sleep because I'm so scared she will be gone when I wake up. Maybe that would be for the best but I want her to stay with me forever. I also don't want the kids to say good bye to another animal. We just lost a cat because of this and it was terrible. The kids cried for days. I could see animals being attacked by raccoons if we lived in the country but we live in the city, and the dog was in a fenced yard. Smokey the cat was a stray that we had been feeding since he was a kitten. After weeks of meds and several trips to the vet he had to be put to sleep. The raccoons that did this are bigger than my sisters cocker spaniel. I couldn't believe how big they were. How can the city just let these nasty animals run around and feed off of people's pets? On Monday I will be making phone calls to the city to find out what they plan on doing to stop this problem. Goodnight, and now it's my turn to cuddle with Tara.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
LaPorte, Indiana, United States
Ron & I have 3 beautiful daughters! Brooke's 15 years old, Kelsey is 12, and Rachel is the youngest & she is 10. I am blessed to be a stay at home mom. We moved to Indiana in 2001. Most of my family lives in Illinois. I'm a very out going person and love to meet new people.